Friday, September 12, 2008

The beginning...

Hello....
I have had an awesome opportunity to travel to both South Africa and Zambia this year for mission trips. (Check out these blogs under MY FAVORITE SITES to your left!!) I have been fortunate to be able to take lots and lots of pictures. I love taking pictures to try to capture the essence of my surroundings. I know that pictures are worth a thousand words, but those thousand words don't even begin to describe God's creation and the beauty all around us.
When I returned back to the states from my trip to South Africa, I wanted something that would attempt to tell the story of my trip. I could just purchase an album and print off my pictures and stick them in the album, or I could scrapbook the trip (that project would NEVER get done because it's not my thing), or I could put my pictures in a photo book. My cheapest option, was a photo book. The great thing about the book, it told the story along with the pictures. Everyone who saw the book, was impressed. They liked the "coffee table book" idea. They loved the pictures and were able to "read" the story of my trip. (Click on South Africa 2008 under SAMPLE BOOKS to see this book).
In July, I headed to Zambia to work with Gospelink. (Check out their website under MY FAVORITE SITES to the left). This trip was my third with this organization. Gospelink is in the process of building a Bible College to train Preachers. The goal is to "Advance the Gospel through National Preachers". While there, I spend a week building and a week in schools in Lusaka sharing Christ. While I was there, I knew what types of pictures to take for my book. I knew that pictures of block walls and mortar would make great backgrounds. No one would ever just use a picture of a cement block for their book, but I would use it to give detail. In my efforts to create this book, I used lots of pictures to tell the story. I used the pictures of the blocks and mortar to help share what I did. (Click on Zambia 2008 under SAMPLE BOOKS to see this book).
As I was sharing with my friends about the fun I had designing these books, a thought occurred to me: What if I did this for others? And the rest is history as they say...
I have decided to do this project in efforts to fund my next trip to Zambia in 2009.
As I complete books, I hope to be able to post them on here for you to see.

No comments: